Regional Manager – Business Development
Reporting To: Director, BD & Pre-sales
The position of Manager, BD & Presales, is responsible for ensuring business growth through directing and managing sales and marketing activities in order to achieve company-wise revenue targets. The Manager, BD & Pre-sales is directly responsible for the achievement of sales target
· Revenue & Profits
· Commercial Controls
· Effectively plan, direct, and manage business development activities across Planet-one Group.
· Establish contact and relationship with Government Representative in Africa
· Ensure relationships with clients are maintained throughout the project execution stages
· Identify and establish contact with clients, close sales, prepare and sign off contracts as per authority matrix
· Meet Planet-One Group’s revenue targets for infra, education, agriculture, mining, health care, and solar
· Lead and motivate the BD & Pre-sales team, ensuring fair and effective means of monitoring performance
· Lead client briefing meetings between the operations team and clients once a project is awarded
· Track and monitor clients’ feedback and ensure that clients’ complaint is resolved within the agreed timeframe
· Management Reporting
Forecast, Budgeting, and Planning
· Prepare Annual Business Plan across sectors in discusion with the Director
· Prepare sales forecasts annually based on discussion with the Director
· Ensure the availability of a steady pipeline of sales enquiries from prospective clients through strong business development efforts
· Prepare the BD budget, while ensuring the availability of necessary resources to achieve the projected sales forecast
· Achieve annual revenue target for Planet-One Group as set by the Director
· Conduct feasibility studies, country reports and other development projects, to enable decision making on growth and expansion plans.
Sales & BD strategy
· Take ownership of the management of BD, and Pre-sales functions of Planet-One; develop robust sales & BD strategy in other to sustain business growth
· Conduct market research and provide market feedback to the Director regarding competitive offerings, prospect needs and new ideas for leveraging on Planet-one’s competitive edge
· Oversee Planet-One’s overall business development efforts and work with the team to ensure that they are aware of the latest trends and target sectors market in Africa
· Provide strategic direction and guidance to the BD, and Pre-sales teams as and when required
· Ensure that transactions with clients are done with adequate diligence and that all commercial controls are followed
· Implement sales incentives to drive sales performance within the team.
· Regularly establish relevant contacts, and keep identifying potential opportunities through networking across Africa
· Formulate department’s strategy, and corresponding initiatives, towards generating additional business as well as enhancing the profitability of existing accounts.
· Coordinate with COOs, Operations Heads, Procurement, Finance, etc. for preparing project proposals
· Responsible for contract verification and risk assessment, including commercial and legal aspects
· Lead the contract clarifications and discussions meetings with clients
· Support the Project Finance team in follow up and collection of overdue receivables
· Ensure all receivables are adequately followed up and collected from clients and that there are no write off, due to inadequate commercial control
· Keep an active communication line with clients; monitor client satisfaction level in ongoing projects, and be involved in resolving clients’ complaints.
· Ensure growth of Planet-One’s customer base, and ensure that existing customers are retained
· Ensure that relationships that were made at the time of securing an order are carefully maintained through the project execution stages.
· Develop database of key executives / decision makers and monitor future project initiatives for potential clients.
· Plan and assign tasks to the Business Development and Pre-sales teams
· Ensure that business travel expenses of the BD team are within budgeted levels
· Create a work environment that minimizes turnover and maximizes retention and productivity
· Responsible for training and development of team members as Head of the Division
· Display a high degree of professionalism and integrity as befitting the position
· Maintain a good knowledge of company policies and procedures
· Promote goodwill by being courteous, friendly and helpful to fellow employees
· Pro-actively take responsibilities of colleagues during their absence
· Take responsibility for own personal development in line with agreed annual performance objectives
· Prefarably an Engineering/Management graduate
Minimum of 10-15 years of related experience, out of which 10 plus years should be in Africa countries.
· Proven track record of generating new business and achieving revenue growth
· Experience in driving a business development campaign and leading a team to build new contacts and partnerships.
Experience in working with senior management to align sales strategies and solutions
· Excellent communication & presentation skills.
· Thorough knowledge of MS Office and be able to prepare detailed documents and feasibility studies.
· Ability to deal with complex problems involving multiple facets and variables in non-standardized situations
· Excellent operational execution skills (thorough planning, smooth step by step execution, deadline driven and have a high quality threshold).
· Excellent negotiation skills, proven track record of successfully pitching for new business
· Mature personality with wide business experience, self motivated and adaptable